Monday, March 10, 2014

Lyonesse.

      I think I was 13 or 14 when I first discovered the science-fiction novels of Jack Vance. He quickly became my favorite author and over the years I went on to read most of everything he ever published. My fascination for his unique blend of outlandish imagination, vivid descriptions, fast paced action and tongue in cheek humor has never faded. It was always a dream of mine to, one day, illustrate one of his books, so when I discovered that his entire library was being republished in E-books and that some cover art was needed, I naturally volunteered. I was assigned the Lyonesse series and started work on the four covers last year. As I have to create these aside from my regular activities, it has been slow going, but I have managed to complete two, so far. The first is the cover of the omnibus edition, the second is the first individual novel in the series. The next two will be completed as quickly as my schedule allows. If you like fantasy and science fiction literature, you must read Jack Vance. Ironically, if his books are all out of print in the U.S, he is quite popular in France where all of his novels are regularly reprinted. Sadly, Jack Vance past away last spring just before I delivered the first cover, and I didn't have a chance to pay tribute in person to one of my heroes.
For more on Jack Vance, go there.


























Acrylic on Illustration Board. 15x20". Copyright Spatterlight Press/Luc Desmarchelier. 2013.























Digital. Copyright Spatterlight Press/Luc Desmarchelier. 2014.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great, Luc! Can't wait to see the next two! I hope all is well!

Luc Desmarchelier said...

Hey David,
Thanks. It's a labor of love, really... All done during week-ends and downtime. Next one should be done by the end of next month, I hope.
Cheers.

jean-luc SERRANO said...

Flute: j'apprends à l'instant que Jack Vance est mort. Autant que ce soit en admirant ton beau travail. Etonnamment, Le cycle de Lyonnesse et les Cugel sont les seuls bouquins fantasy que j'ai pris avec moi en Finlande pour les quelques moi que j'ai à y passer... Sacré Jack. Merci Luc.

Luc Desmarchelier said...

Ouais. Buvons tous un coup à sa santé. Le vieux à tenu le coup jusqu'à 98 ans... L'imagination, ça conserve!

Gary Morris, ed. said...

These covers are simply wonderful. So many of the Vance covers (which are legion, as you know) are disappointing, particularly given the richness of Vance's images. These capture some of the beauty of his words Thank you!

Luc Desmarchelier said...

Hey Gary,
Thank you so much. These are high praises indeed.
'The green pearl' will be up soon.
Cheers.